I'm currently writing a Fasttracker II clone in C using SDL 2.
What is Fasttracker II? Read about it on Wikipedia.
The goal is to make it almost identical to the original FT2 v2.09 so that FT2 users feel at home. Why? Well, running FT2 in DOSBox uses quite a bit of CPU time, and some things just don't work correctly out of the box without configuring keybindings and drive mounting. Its replayer is very accurate, and thus it has the same bugs and quirks as original FT2 v2.09.
The clone will also have a few new features to make it easier to use. However, the project won't be open source because parts of it is based on FT2 code I got from Vogue (main FT2 coder), but I haven't managed to get in touch with Mr.H (also FT2 coder) to hear if he's fine with it. This means that it won't be available for GNU/Linux for now.
PS: This clone is meant for computers with a semi-modern GPU and CPU (about 2007 or newer recommended).
macOS/OS X important notice:
To be able to actually run the program, you need to right click the .app and press "Open". This is only needed once, you can open it like normal after this.
- For non-latin alphabet keyboard layouts: You need to set your layout temporarily to something like EN/US.
- WAV files saved with the clone before alpha #30 (long ago) might not read properly in audio programs.
- Please go to "Help" -> "FT2 clone FAQ" in the program and read it before complaining about something.
What's NOT implemented yet?
* Ability to sample from audio input source (will probably be added later)
* MIDI (maybe, but probably not)
IRC: #protracker @ IRCNet (yes, that channel is for FT2 too)